It's Wednesday morning and I am up way before my alarm has gone off, so I figured this would be a good time to post and prove I haven't forgotten about my blog!
This week has been uneventful so far, so I'll share what I meant to post on Sunday before I was distracted by my artists.
First of all, I love how our children imitate everything we do as parents. Sometimes this works out to our advantage. I like nothing more than to get praise for a job well done, or just putting in the effort. So far, I've heard, "Mommy, thank you for cleaning my bathroom." "Mommy, thank you for doing the laundry." Last night my Seren said, "Daddy, thank you for serving the food. Mommy, thank you for making it." These kinds of words reinforce that we're doing the right thing by them.
Mike is now experiencing the same imitation of his actions now that he is the one taking care of them during the day. Unfortunately for him, this backfired...almost literally.
What I was told was that he was innocently standing at our cafe table working on his computer when he made the indiscretion of passing gas with our 2 year old in the room. She recognized the sound and felt the need to immediately check his diaper. Apparently, she decided to take a good, close whiff of his pants, then exclaimed, "Ugh! New diaper! UUUGGGGHHH!" I can't remember if she actually brought him one...
Also, we had an adventure trying to get rid of a mattress we just had no room for. It was a decent Ikea mattress in decent shape with a washable cover. It was our bright idea to make it a Goodwill donation. So, about 8pm on Saturday we set about donating it. Mike warns me that he only found a bit of twine, so he was only able to tie down 2 corners of it on top of our minivan. Thankfully, the Goodwill is only a mile away and quite a doable trip at 20mph. So, we get there and drop off some extra clothes, but they don't take mattresses. "Do you take children?"
We left with what we came with: the mattress securely fastened in our car and our kids slightly twined on top of the minivan...oh wait, it was the other way around. Wishful thinking, I suppose. Anyways, we were left to wonder what we were to do with it as we traveled home. We jokingly threw out a few ideas as we passed a few apartment complexes on our way, "Hon, do you think anyone would notice if we dropped it off at their garbage bin?" I would have suggested our own garbage bins but our mattress was on top of our car all afternoon and our HOA would have known who to charge for disposal (although that should be in our HOA fee already, right?).
We pull into our condo community and Mike suggested the location of our recycling bins. I pointed out that I thought that the signs on the bins excluded furniture. We were able to verify that as we drove by. We decided to go ahead and park our van in our spot and deal with it in the morning, if the mattress was still there, of course. Yes, we did pass up the opportunity of just loading it into any miscellaneous truck bed we found along the way. Although, I would have loved to see the reaction of the driver as it was discovered someone left a gift in his truckbed as opposed to stealing whatever he had in it (to be expected in our neighborhood).
Mike parks our van and un-twines the mattress as I herd loud, tired, and fussy children into our unit. We have decided to post a "Free" sign on the mattress and hope it disappears by morning. When I was done making the sign, I go back out to Mike and the van to find them both gone! Along with the mattress, of course. Did he take one of our suggestions seriously??? As I turn to head back in, I see him driving back into our lot. It turns out that as he was un-twining the mattress, one of our neighbors was walking by with her dog. She complimented the mattress and said she needed one like it. "Oh REALLY?" Mike said. It worked out great for both us and our neighbor :)
No comments:
Post a Comment